We are an organization made up of shareholders of Mitchell-Lama coops who are fighting to keep our homes affordable and in the Mitchell-Lama program—both for ourselves and for future generations of moderate- and middle-income New Yorkers.
We are unequivocally against the privatization of Mitchell-Lama cooperative housing. As shareholders, we have enjoyed so many of the benefits of living in Mitchell-Lama housing. In return, our responsibility to the City has been, and continues to be, to oversee the governance of our buildings in order to preserve them as an affordable housing resource.
CU4ML officially began in March of 2009, though many of the individuals who make up the organization have been working to preserve Mitchell-Lama coops for years. The organization currently includes members from 40 Mitchell-Lama coops around New York City, which provide affordable homes for over 38,000 families.
As individual buildings, we have faced harassment, intimidation, and campaigns of misinformation by those who seek to privatize our homes. We have now joined as one voice to save our affordable coops, protect the rights of shareholders and work to expand the Mitchell-Lama program.
We hope you will join us in COOPERATORS UNITED FOR MITCHELL-LAMA!
To view and download a copy of the CU4ML Bylaws, Click Here!
This document reflect the amendments adopted April 2, 2011.
Updates to News and Events
- General Membership Meeting: Saturday, October 18th at St. Margaret's House, 49 Fulton Street, located in lower Manhattan near the South Street Seaport. Visit the Calendar Page for more information.
- Southbridge Towers a M-L coop of 1,651 units voted to leave go market rate. Two articles describe the voting and the controversy on the News Page.
- On March 24, 2014, the City Council Committee on Housing held hearings on HPD's oversite. Several CU4ML members attended it. You can download their comments here , or on the Taking Action page.
- We've posted a link to a NY Times article, Bargain With a 'But', that describes how the effect of the new rule, Section 3-4(i)(15) on the affordablity of M-L apartments.
- Please read "Preserve Affordable Mitchell-Lama Cooperative Housing: Recommendations from Cooperators United for Mitchell-Lama" (AKA The White Paper) and "City Politicians Cover Letter". These documents outline CU4ML's arguments for upholding and reinforcing Mitchell-Lama housing. To download these files, go to the Taking Action Page.
- CU4ML has a petition to ban privatization of Mitchell-Lama cooperatives. See the Taking Action Page.
- Sign a petition to end discrimination by FEMA of cooperative housing developments in receiving disaster relief. See the Taking Action Page to find out how.
- Brooklyn Borough President, Marty Markowitz along with the Mitchell-Lama Task Force has released the results of an ongoing survey to determine residents' satisfaction with Mitchell-lama housing. Click on the News Page to learn more.
- CU4ML Board has voiced its opposition the new HPD rule §3-14(i)(15) allowing Mitchell-Lama coops to convert into HDFC coop. We have a booklet in PDF form that explains the new rule and what it means; download it here .
A petition to rescind this new rule was introduced at the December 1st, General Meeting and presented to Commissioner Wambua on January 24, 2013. See the Taking Action page for more information.